Thursday 10 January 2013

New Year; new start. Another one...

So, with a recently broken leg and everyone's New Year's resolutions ringing in my ears I figured now was the time to remember my Blogger password and get back on that draping horse.

Looking back at my last post, I did actually succeed with the intersecting darts exercise but failed to post the pictures and now can't find them. Yay me. But I have something a little more interesting to post about today.

You know when you find a dress in a shop that looks beautiful on the hanger, but when you put it on it's a little akin to squeezing sausage meat into a skin? Yep, me too. I tried on such a dress at one of my favourite high street shops a while ago and despite the awful fit, I couldn't get the beautiful design out of my head. So, thought I, why not have a go at draping it yourself?
Turned out not to be such a horrible idea. My stand was already padded and having learnt how to intersect darts I just kinda, well, did it.

I love being all excited about a project, pity that for me the excitement fizzles out pretty quickly and leaves me with a vague guilt about the unfinished work. This has been on the stand for a number of months now and I think now is the time to test the pattern with a toile.

Right now...

Okay, not RIGHT now, but this weekend surely. In the store it was made from a heavy-weight Jersey, (which after a quick peruse on google convinced me it was a Ponte, probably a Cotton/Polyester blend) and had no fastenings - hence the sausage meat metaphor.
After draping it in Calico I've decided that even though I like it in a more structured fabric, that the darting over the bust will probably lend itself better to a fabric with a stretch. Like Ponte. Oh, those clever garment technicians... Unless, maybe if I cut the whole thing on the bias and put in a zip. Eeek.

The fact that I have Calico here and don't have any Jersey will probably mean, as usual, I will do it the hard way.

xx





No comments:

Post a Comment